My Photo
Name:
Location: Paris, France

Monday, November 06, 2006

Doha, some days later

  Gosh, I've been wanting to write for a few days, but the connection was so bad, or even not working that it was not an easy task. I've got so much to write down before I forget.
Ok, where shall i start ? That's a picture of the Corniche in Doha. It's like one of the only places outside where you can go for an enjoyable walk. The rest is sand, construction and malls. BTW, I put a link on the right to the pictures I took the week I came end of September.

Thursday we went golfing. That was my first golfing lesson ever. Considering my first real golf try was end of September with David trying to teach me... Actually when we arrived at the Golf Course there was a check at the entrance (like in most places you want to enter in Doha, altough they actually let any white people in, it's amazing) and we told the guard we were going to the beginner's course, but he made a strange face and asked 'You play Golf ?' to which we clearly replied 'Yes' and he let us in. But that made us laugh for a while cuz either that was the only phrase he knew in English, either we're wondering what other activities you can do in a Golf Club other than playing golf... So Thursday we were 4: Kerstin, Paolo (Kerstin's boyfriend), David and I. Our teacher is called Graham and I believe he is Scottish. I guess it was quite a good try as I managed to do a few good shots (I'm not really sure this is the right term... anyway), and quite a few good swings. I honestly think the position is not really comfortable and I had some muscle aches afterwards... but I guess with time it can only get better. Graham said we'd get filmed next lesson so we can better see by ourselves what are our mistakes. I really liked it 'though because I was so much concentrated on all the basic details that I really wouldn't worry about anything else in the world. That felt really good.

I was supposed to be off on friday as in Qatar fridays are like sundays and everything is closed. Weekends are usually friday and saturday. But I still had to prepare a few things for the database migration of sunday so after a morning at home, mostly sleeping, i went to spend a few hours at the IBC. It felt good sleeping in the morning as the first nights were not so restful, and I didn't get used to the heat and airconditioning. I actually ended up staying late on friday as the network was down most of the time and it was difficult to get going with the work.

Saturday I was really off. With Fritz and Chantal we went to Sheikh Faisal's Museum, about half an hour drive from Doha, in the desert. It was really interesting. I put pictures in the Doha AG folder. In the afternoon I had a rest and a dive at the swimming pool. Sunday was hard work and many people arrived at the IBC. The atmosphere is nice, and it's good to see people from the World cup with us again !
I'll write more about it all tomorrow, as I'm looking forward to a little rest before heading to our welcome party at the Sheraton tonight ;)
 Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home